Saturday, May 22, 2010

Twelve Years Ago

Sad post...brace yourself. Twelve years ago today, my dad passed away. It is a day that changed me. I have described my grief before as a series of snapshots. I remember everything about that day. Everything. I don't think about it every day anymore but something can take me back to that place in my mind and heart in an instant. Days like today take me back.
I have thought for years that I would write a book about grief and my story. Last year I took out all my journals through the years in an attempt to start an outline...it was too tough. So, I put them back on the shelf and hope to one day be able to do it. I really feel God leading me to put my story on paper because I do beleive that He has given me a story to share. I hope that one day I'll be able to share it in its entirety. In the meantime, I hope that you enjoy this tribute to my dad. He was a great man and he taught me many things that make me who I am. Here are a few.
  • He taught me to be a hard worker. I'm sure that he didn't always like his job...and it wasn't the most glamorous. He always went to work, and I remember him going in at 5 a.m. most every morning. I know now that he did that for us to have the life that we did.
  • He taught me to never quit. My brother and I played sports growing up...we didn't have to, but we did. He taught us that no matter how we felt, we couldn't quit mid-season. It wasn't okay to quit. I appreciate that.
  • He (and my mom) taught me to value family meals. We always ate dinner together as a family. It is a tradition that I have continued with my family.
  • He taught me to love my family. He loved his family. He would've done anything for his family. He was always at ALL of our games, practices, etc. It was a given. It is not a given for everyone. He taught me to respect my mother. He lead by example...he respected his mother.
  • He taught me the value in a simple life. He was content to be with us...to spend time with his family, to tend to his garden, read the paper, drink a cup of coffee, sit on the front porch.

So, here's a tribute to Mac Hodge, my daddy. You left a legacy. I love you.


7 comments:

nick, robyn and taylor said...

Oh Morgan, I had no idea the anniversary was this weekend. :( Thanks so much for sharing your heart and these wonderful things about your Dad. Love you!

Sarah said...

What a beautiful post Morgan. I still remember this like it was yesterday...I can only imagine how it feels to you. You have such an incredible testimony in your dealings with grief, and I would love to read more about them.

danielle said...

I'm sorry Morgan that I didn't even realize this anniversary. Thanks for sharing-love you.

Demetrius and Amy said...

sweet/sad post my friend. i hope you find the courage to put your story down on paper to bless others and yourself. love you

Parks Avenue said...

Precious post Morgan! You'll be glad you wrote this down as well. thanks for sharing it with the rest of us. You are able to express your heart on paper well, and that book will definitely happen one day:)

Danelle said...

what a special post, Morgan. I'm sure your dad would love Matt and your two sons so much. And he would LOVE what a radiant woman of God his daughter has become (and is always becoming!) Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing those sweet dad things. :)

Merrill said...

I know I am way late on reading/commenting on this, but I think a book written by you would be wonderful, Morgan. I will pray that it will come to fruition one day- that your heart will come to that place! Love you!