Monday, February 22, 2010

Meatballs and a Marathon

Whaaat?? Well, let me explain. Several friends have urged me to blog about this particular story, so here you go. I decided in August that I would start training for a half-marathon. My friend Julia was planning to run the half in Mobile in January and wanted me to run it with her so I decided I would give it a shot. Some of you are already laughing at this point :) I was NOT a runner. Never have been. I would say that I had not been in shape for a good ten years. So there I was...I mapped out a training schedule and decided that I would do it. Well, those of you that know me well know that I love to cook. So that particular evening I was trying out a new recipe straight from Food Network for none other than...yummy MEATBALLS! Ok, now I'm laughing as I remember :) We ate dinner and it was great. I cleaned up and then decided to go for my FIRST RUN! Why, you ask? Because I thought that if I didn't start THAT DAY, I would never do it. So I did and it was not pretty. My neighbor was out cutting his grass and tried to talk to me...I was so embarassed because I had to tell him that I needed to go because I thought I was gonna lose my dinner!!! SAD!! So, there you go...that's how it all started :)

I did run that half-marathon with my friends Katie and Annie. Annie has been my long-term training buddy and it has been so wonderful! I think that I have loved it because it has given me some "me time" and great time with good girl friends. This weekend I am running my very first marathon! I'm very nervous and very excited! So, anyways...this post is for those of you that say you could never do it. I assure you that you could! Anyone can do it if I can go from almost losing my dinner to running a marathon. So, hope that encourages you (or just makes you laugh)!


2 comments:

Danelle said...

I love you. You're just awesome. lol I'm still not convinced that I could do it but you inspire me nonetheless! So proud of you signin' up for a marathon. Don't eat directly before, ok? :) i know you'll do great!!

JD and Danielle said...

I love the meatball story. It is still just as funny today as it was that day. I can't wait to hear the results from this weekend! yay!!!