Sunday, July 22, 2012

Here's the Scoop: Micah's Broken Leg

This time last week we were headed to a family reunion and to spend a couple of days with my mom.  Wow, has it been a week.  It's hard to believe that in a week's time, we have gone from
this: 



to this:





I'll try to re-cap a bit of the story.  We got back to Mobile on Tuesday about 11 a.m. and the boys wanted to play on the slip-n-slide.  So Matt took them outside to play while I got a few things unloaded and started on lunch.  Micah had a freak accident where he got his left leg twisted underneath him and Matt was confident it was broken.  
From there, I packed up Hudson and Lily while Matt held Micah and we headed to the ER.  Thankfully, a friend met me and took Hudson and Lily.  God bless you.  It was excruciating to see him in that much pain.  X-rays were awful because we had to move him and he had only had Tylenol with Codeine.  I have cried many, many tears over my little man's pain.  It is so awful to see your child suffer.  Once the orthopaedic doctor on call saw his x-rays, they decided we should be transferred to USA Women's & Children's Hospital so that an Ortho that specializes in pediatrics could see him.  Once we were transferred and seen by their doctor, they admitted us and made a plan to take him to surgery the next day at 3 p.m. (their doctor would be at a clinic in Selma until then).  
That night was so so so awful.  Micah's pain was terrible all through the night.  Matt and I stood on either side of his bed.  Matt comforted as I cried.  He would begin to sleep and then jerk awake screaming crying every 5-10 minutes.  At about 4 a.m., he jerked really hard and bent his knee...and he was inconsolable from then on.  I asked for the doctor to be called, and thankfully he was at the hospital in about 15 minutes.  He decided that they needed to re-set the leg, but after taking a look at his chart decided that he didn't want to give him any more pain med before he did it, because he didn't want to risk having too many narcotics on board and compromise his breathing.  It. Was. Awful.  The tears streamed down my face, but what could I say?  I definitely couldn't say for him to risk Micah's breathing just to keep him out of pain.  So, I stepped out of the room while they re-set his leg.  Thankfully, after that Micah was able to rest peacefully.  
He had surgery on Wed. at 3, and the doctor was able to place 2 "nails" on either side of his bone to create a type of "internal cast", and so we were able to avoid the spica cast, which would have been a lot harder for us to take care of.  I am thankful for that.  
He has done well.  Moving him was awful and very upsetting for me, but he has manged very well at home.  He has been sitting in his wheelchair, and we are beginning to figure this thing out.  I am thankful that his pain is getting better.  Thankful for many things.  Thank you all for your prayers.  I have learned a lot through this process.  I have learned that my husband is more calm and rock solid than I ever really knew.  He has been kind, caring, compassionate, and rock solid through it all.  He has carried Micah over and over again.  I am so, so thankful.  He balances out my nerves.  I have also been reminded of friends that have to watch their children suffer often and I have grown in compassion for them.  I have thought about the many women around the world that watch their children suffer and don't have the means to take them to a hospital for treatment.  I can't imagine what they go through.  I am grateful.  Grateful we have insurance, a hospital nearby, for doctor friends who give advice, for pain medicine, for a husband that is off work and helps, for friends and family, for it all.  I'm grateful that though he has suffered, he will recover soon.  

1 comment:

Keri said...

So glad he is doing better! I couldn't believe it when mom told me. Praying for a speedy recovery and lots of rest!